turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

keola2356

I work overseas for the US government. How do I claim back my Hawaii state taxes that I didn't have to pay?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
juliob
Employee Tax Expert

I work overseas for the US government. How do I claim back my Hawaii state taxes that I didn't have to pay?

If you are not a Hawaii Resident but a resident of a different state during the applicable tax year, you can try to reach out to payroll and see if they can recover your state tax withholding. Worst case scenario, reach out to Hawaii Department of taxation and show them proof e.g. utility bill, car registration, driver's license, etc.

If the above does not apply to you please see the following examples:

• Example 1 - A Hawaii resident who enlists in the military normally will remain a Hawaii resident regardless of the length of absence from Hawaii while stationed outside of Hawaii.
  • Example 2 - A Hawaii resident working in a foreign country will remain a Hawaii resident unless permanent resident status is granted by the foreign country.

If either example 1 or 2 above applies to you, you are required to report your income. 

If I were you, I would to move to a state that does not tax out-of-state/foreign income if you are considering to work for the US government overseas for an extended period.

the foreign earned income exclusion wouldn't apply since the OP is working for the US government
juliob
Employee Tax Expert

You are correct bine22 the FEI wouldn't apply to employees of the US government or military according to IRS website <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-earned-income-exclusion">https://www...>

Will edit my response.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies