turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am an Alabama resident and worked three weeks in Michigan in 2018. My W-2 shows only Alabama income taxes withheld. Do I file a nonresident tax return in Michigan?

I am a full time resident of Alabama. I work for various companies that provide hospitals and other healthcare providers computer software conversion training and support when the conversion "goes live". One company that I worked for while providing training and support was in Michigan. The company provided me with a W-2 that withheld Alabama state income tax and not Michigan state income tax. Since my W-2 did not withhold Michigan income tax, do I still need to file income taxes in Michigan?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I am an Alabama resident and worked three weeks in Michigan in 2018. My W-2 shows only Alabama income taxes withheld. Do I file a nonresident tax return in Michigan?

Yes, you need to prepare a nonresident Michigan return for the income earned in Michigan.  You need to prepare the nonresident Michigan return before your Alabama resident return so TurboTax can calculate the credit on your Alabama return for the tax on your Michigan nonresident return.

According to Michigan filing instructions:

Nonresident.

Use Schedule NR to figure your Michigan taxable income. You must pay Michigan income tax on the following types of income: • Salary, wages, and other employee compensation for work performed in Michigan, unless you live in a state covered by a reciprocal agreement (see “Reciprocal States”).  Alabama is not a reciprocal state.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you need to prepare a nonresident Michigan return for the income earned in Michigan.  You need to prepare the nonresident Michigan return before your Alabama resident return so TurboTax can calculate the credit on your Alabama return for the tax on your Michigan nonresident return.

According to Michigan filing instructions:

Nonresident.

Use Schedule NR to figure your Michigan taxable income. You must pay Michigan income tax on the following types of income: • Salary, wages, and other employee compensation for work performed in Michigan, unless you live in a state covered by a reciprocal agreement (see “Reciprocal States”).  Alabama is not a reciprocal state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies