Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rfroeh93

I live in Georgia but gain income from work out of state. Do i need to file a state tax for Georgia? I don't get any money from Georgia.

I work as a teacher if it matters.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I live in Georgia but gain income from work out of state. Do i need to file a state tax for Georgia? I don't get any money from Georgia.

Yes, you do have to file a return in Georgia.  All income is taxable to your resident state!

"Full-year residents are taxed on all income, except tax exempt
income, regardless of the source or where derived. You are
required to file a Georgia income tax return if:
  • You are required to file a Federal income tax return;
  • You have income subject to Georgia income tax
  • that is not subject to Federal income tax;
  • Your income exceeds the standard deduction and personal exemptions as indicated below"

https://dor.georgia.gov/sites/dor.georgia.gov/files/related_files/document/TSD/Form/2016_IT-511_Book...

You will file a nonresident return for the state you work in.  Prepare your nonresident return first, then your Georgia return.  You will be able to claim a credit for taxes paid to another state.

Please look at the following information:  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300295

stepeter
Returning Member

And do not own property in GA - what are my requirements

TomD8
Level 15

If you are a resident of Georgia, all your income is taxable by Georgia - regardless of whether or not you are a property owner in Georgia.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
stepeter
Returning Member

Thanks for the reply - my accountant did not file a GA return only Fed, so what about the taxes paid to the other state - and do I use Turbo Tax to file the GA portion 

TomD8
Level 15

Why didn't your accountant prepare your state return(s)?  That seems unusual.

If you live in Georgia but work in another state, your accountant should have filed both a non-resident tax return for the other state (assuming the other state has an income tax), and a resident tax return for Georgia.

In that situation, you'd be able to claim a credit on your GA return for the taxes paid to the other state.

In order to do this with TurboTax,  you'd have to first fill out both your federal and the other state's return in TT, and then complete the GA state return.  This would allow the program to correctly calculate and apply the "other state" credit.

If the state you work in has no income tax (such as Florida), as a GA resident you still have to file a GA tax return.  

Perhaps your accountant will do this for you, since he's already done the federal return.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Hal_Al
Level 15

As to paying income  tax, and filing tax returns for non resident states, the previous answers assume you physically work in those other states. If you are telecommuting (or similar at home work) the answer might be a little different depending on the states and details of your work. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies