turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Worked online as a teacher, do I file out of state taxes with those states? States are KY, and Ohio? I didn't live there just worked there.

I taught online while living in one state, Arkansas. I taught at Ohio and KY.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Worked online as a teacher, do I file out of state taxes with those states? States are KY, and Ohio? I didn't live there just worked there.

You should only file Arkansas state income tax returns in this situation.  At this point working "remotely" in another state does not turn that income into that "other state sourced" income.

Tom Young

TomD8
Level 15

Therefore answer "No" in the Personal Info section to the question about earning income in other states.  All your income is Arkansas income, and taxable by Arkansas.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Hi,

Thanks for the responses, very helpful. 

What if i lived in NJ and worked not "remotely" but "online" for a University in OH. In addition the Uni gave me a W-2 not a 1099 and withheld state taxes in OH? Am I requited to file in OH and claim income for just that portion or is it optional at this point?

TomD8
Level 15

@stevieb2124 --

If you never physically worked in Ohio, then your income is not subject to OH taxation.  But if you wish to have the withheld OH taxes refunded to you, you must file a non-resident OH tax return, allocating zero income to Ohio.

ALL your income, including that from Ohio, is taxable by your home state of NJ.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies