Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Worked in one state (IN) but W2 shows only another state (CT). What to do?

I worked for a company that is in CT but I conducted all my work in IN. My W2 shows only CT, shows my "state wages" but has no state tax withheld. Do I need to file a CT tax return? Do I need to file an IN state return? Or, do I need my employer to send me a revised W2 showing the state as IN?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

No, you don't have to file a CT return if you never worked there, and as long as there was not withholding (if there was, you'd need to file to get the withholding refunded). You do need to file an IN return because that is where you lived and earned the income. You probably should get your employer to correct your W-2 to show IN, but if there's been no tax withheld for IN, it won't change your situation much. You'll wind up owing state income tax to Indiana.If you're still working for this employer, have them withhold for Indiana!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

No, you don't have to file a CT return if you never worked there, and as long as there was not withholding (if there was, you'd need to file to get the withholding refunded). You do need to file an IN return because that is where you lived and earned the income. You probably should get your employer to correct your W-2 to show IN, but if there's been no tax withheld for IN, it won't change your situation much. You'll wind up owing state income tax to Indiana.If you're still working for this employer, have them withhold for Indiana!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I worked in Tn an lived in Tn but they took ky taxes out do I have to put what my w2 what it saids for taxes in boxes 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies