tobyicnoise

Worked for 2 month in another state (Colorado), but moved back and worked remotely from Texas where I previously lived.

I moved another state (Colorado) to work in late Jan. 2020 from Texas, but the rest of my family stayed in Texas in 2020. Due to covid-19 (Corona virus), I came back to Texas in March, 2020. Since then, I worked remotely from home in Texas throughout Dec. 31th, 2020.

Q1) Do I need to check "Lived another state?". It does not have temporary stay option. My home and the rest of family were still in Texas.

Q2) I am currently and worked remotely after I came back to Texas in March, 2020. Thus, I only lived in Colorado for ~2.5-month, but paid the state-tax since Jan. 2020 (throughout 2020).

I am still working in the same company and it has office in Colorado where I am belong. 

After reading some posts, it seem that I have to do "non-resident return" for 2-month.  

Because I live in Texas and work from Texas, can I get refund of the (Colorado) state-tax that I paid 2020? 

DMarkM1

No, you will not need to indicate you lived in another state. However, you will indicate you earned income in another state (CO).  You will make that selection in the "Personal Info" section, "Other State Income" near the bottom of the page.  

Your responses there will trigger TurboTax to generate a non-resident CO state form.  You will enter the W2 information in the federal interview.  You will be entering any state taxes that CO withheld on your Form W2 there.

Once you complete the federal interview anything applicable to CO will transfer to that state interview. 

In the CO interview you will arrive at a page entitled "Colorado portion of wages".  Assuming all the wages for the year (W2 box 1) show as CO wages (W2 Box 16), you will need to prorate based on the number of days worked in CO.  

Once you complete the state interview if you have paid more than required to CO for the 2.5 months there through withholding, you will get a refund.

tobyicnoise

Thank you very much for your advice.
I appreciate it!