Worked 90 days as temp employee in CA,as a non-resident.I am being double taxed in my home state on income earned in CA.Is that correct? If not, how do I fix that?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worked 90 days as temp employee in CA,as a non-resident.I am being double taxed in my home state on income earned in CA.Is that correct? If not, how do I fix that?

Turbotax automatically pulls my total adjusted gross income (which includes the CA income) into my home state return (Colorado) and I don't see any deduction in the Colorado return for the income earned exclusively in California. So, I am being double taxed on the same income. Why isn't Turbotax accounting for the different states and removing the income earned in CA from my Colorado tax return?  I am not using Turbotax for the CA return, so maybe that is part of the issue. That said, how do I fix that so I am not double taxed? I am actually getting a refund on the CA return but owe on the CO return. Thank you.

1 Reply
Level 3

As a full year Colorado resident, you would be taxed on income from all sources (earned both in and out of Colorado) -- this includes the income your earned from California. 

You can claim a "other state tax credit" in CO for any taxes you paid to California on that California income.  This prevents the same income from being double-taxed.

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings