Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dcdoar

Work and live on reservation in oregon

I need to change my Oregon state taxes to reflect my income has been earned while working for my native tribe and living on reservation.  How do I make the change?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

Work and live on reservation in oregon

Assuming that you have not already filed your tax return for this year (and in which case you would need to "amend" your Oregon state return), there is a specific process for filing your Oregon tax return so that you can exclude your wage and self-employment income earned while working on Native American tribal land.

When using TurboTax, and going through the Oregon state tax module, you will eventually come across a screen for "miscellaneous" state adjustments.  You'll then need to respond appropriately to the questions about "Indian" income, as they are presented to you in the program.  Please see the several screen-capture images attached to this answer, directly beneath this text, for a visual guide to the process.  Simply click the pictures to open them in your internet browser.

You will find a place where you can enter all of your income earned on tribal land (as a tribal member), and that amount will be entirely excluded from your Oregon taxable income.  Please note that everyone, no matter their affiliation or where they earn their income, is subject to federal taxation.

You can then complete your Oregon tax return normally, except that you will need to select the option at the end to print and paper file (you cannot e-file a state tax return with this special income exclusion).  However, you could still e-file your federal tax return.

After you are done in TurboTax, you will then want to go to the following Oregon webpage and download a blank copy of an Oregon "Exempt Income Schedule for Enrolled Members of a Federally Recognized American Indian Tribe" which can be found at the following link:

https://www.oregon.gov/DOR/forms/FormsPubs/exempt-income-schedule-federal-american-tribe_101-687.pdf

The (blank) tax form from the Oregon state website should then be filled out, either by hand or using a typewriter, and attached to your Oregon tax return printed from within TurboTax.  You will then mail all of the Oregon state tax returns documents together, to the Oregon Department of Revenue.

That is the complete process of how you will be able to take your Oregon subtraction.  In addition to the above information, the following Oregon Department of Revenue webpage can be helpful as well:

https://www.oregon.gov/DOR/programs/individuals/Pages/american-indian.aspx

If you have further questions, encounter any difficulties, or just want to speak with a live tax expert who can walk you through your TurboTax entries (including the ability to screen-share with your computer), please feel free to contact us.  We would be happy to help you.  Here is a link where you can create a support ticket and reach us:

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Thank you for asking this question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies