Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

biscuitme

will not let me e file the Virginia State tax saying there is no federal file that matches it

Good morning:

I e-filed my Federal taxes approx April 11th using turbo tax  Did not own anything didn't get anything back.  Tried to file my Virginia state  tax via e-file yesterday evening and I kept getting the error:

"A Federal return that matces this state return could  not be found.  The IRS requires that all linked sstte returns be filed after or in conjunction with the Federal return. Please verify that your Federal return has been e-filed and not been rejected by IRS."

I verified this.  So now what

Thank you in advance for your attention to this issue. 

Mary [removed]

[phone number removed]

[email address removed]

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

will not let me e file the Virginia State tax saying there is no federal file that matches it

In order to file your state return, I recommend checking to make sure your federal return was successfully e-filed.  You cannot electronically file your state return unless your federal return has been accepted.  Please see "how do I check my e-file status?" to ensure your federal return was filed and accepted.  

If your federal return was not accepted, follow the steps in this link to fix the filing.  You would be able to file your state return along with your federal return if this is your situation.

If your federal return was already accepted, you will need to follow the steps in this link to electronically file your state return.  The instructions are broken out for both TurboTax Online and TurboTax Desktop depending upon which version of the software you are using.

Also, be sure that you are signed into the same account that was used to electronically file your federal tax return.  Please see the link below for more direction on how to view your accounts.

How can I view all my TurboTax accounts?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies