53ebd7e0d69d

Why do I owe RI $695.00

I only worked my federal job in RI

Why do I owe RI $695.00

Do you live in RI?  Have any other type of income there (interest, dividends, etc.)?   Also, each Rhode Island resident is required to have health insurance beginning January 1, 2020.  If a Rhode Island resident fails to carry health insurance and does not have a valid exemption, the resident will be assessed a penalty.

JohnW152

Why do I owe RI $695.00

We’re unable to see your return in this forum, but there can be any number of reasons – the most likely being that you claimed too many allowances on your Rhode Island Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Certificate, available at the Rhode Island Withholding Tax Forms  page.

Claiming too many allowances results in too little withholding from your paycheck, and eventually owing money once you file your tax return.

Please see the TurboTax Help page How do I update my 2020 withholdings and print a new W-4? for more information.

If this doesn’t appear to be the cause, please clarify your question.