Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Where do I enter contributions to a 529 plan for tax year 2020? On the Federal and/or Colorado state return. I only see the option to report distributions from a 529.

where do I enter 529 contribution to edvest in wisconsin return? I am non-resident with a taxable rental income from wisconsin that I would like to offset with 529 contribution.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Where do I enter contributions to a 529 plan for tax year 2020? On the Federal and/or Colorado state return. I only see the option to report distributions from a 529.

In the WI program under income.

1. The program says "Here's the income that WI handles differently"
  2. Scroll down to Education
  3. Click on College Savings Account
  4. Click Yes to college savings account program
  5. Enter beneficiary and information
  6. Continue

For more information, Wisconsin 529 College Savings Program

@thasildar

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm trying to figure this out in Texas, I haven't been given any of the paperwork by the family member who set this up for me and I'm seriously lost, please help.

TomD8
Level 15

@Madelemonaid22 --

There's no 529 deduction on your federal return, and Texas has no income tax.  So there's nothing for you to input regarding your 529 plan.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
clebrady

I am having the same problem with Georgia.    I have clicked on every button.    I do not see a message that says how to handle Georgia differently and I do not have a State Tax Interview.    Tried the help section but it said nothing.    I don't want to call.  I have done that before and the person was just giving answers that I could have found in the help section.   Can anyone here help me?   I must be missing something here.  Thanks!

@clebrady wrote:

I am having the same problem with Georgia.    I have clicked on every button.    I do not see a message that says how to handle Georgia differently and I do not have a State Tax Interview.    Tried the help section but it said nothing.    I don't want to call.  I have done that before and the person was just giving answers that I could have found in the help section.   Can anyone here help me?   I must be missing something here.  Thanks!

If you are using the TurboTax software for the state of Georgia you do have a state interview.  In the section of the Georgia state program on the screen labeled Here's the income that Georgia handles differently under the section for Education, on Path2College Savings Plan Contributions, click on the start button.

jenhein

I am having the same problem on my New York state portion in turbo tax. The education part is there but there is no box to click to add the info. Any ideas how to enter this? Is it a Turbo Tax online bug that needs fixing? Thanks!

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

This a possible deduction on State return(s) only.  The deduction for placing money in a 529 plan is allowed on most, if not all, state returns.  It is not a deduction on the federal return.

Continue to check the availability for each state since it's early for some to be completely ready for filing in every way.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no place to enter 529 contributions for Georgia. It is deductible.

@Anonymous wrote:

There is no place to enter 529 contributions for Georgia. It is deductible.

Start your Georgia tax return again.  On the screen Here's the income that Georgia handles differently under Education on Path2College Savings Plan Contributions, click on the start button

Georgia 529.JPG

FRC3

Where do I enter contributions to a 529 plan for tax year 2021nOn the Federal and/or state return. I only see the option to report distributions from a 529.

MayaD
Expert Alumni

There's no 529 deduction on your federal return. However, some states let you deduct all or part of your 529 plan contributions.

If your state is one of those states, we'll prompt you to enter your 529 contributions when you get to the credits and deductions portion of your state taxes.

Which state return are you filing?

This doesnt work.

I click on Revisit, and Turbo Tax says I dont have any Tuition Account Refunds in Federal Income.

click continue and it take me back to the 

Heres how Virginia handles income differently.

I didnt have any income. I made contributions... which in the past have always been deductible in Virginia

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If you click on Virginia 529 or ABLEnow Distribution or Refund, it will be followed by the screen about tuition account refunds in federal income.

However, you have to choose the option above it - Virginia College Savings Prepaid Tuition (Section 529) Plan. I have attached a screenshot of the line item below. There is no income requirement for Virginia's 529 plan deduction. 

Please click Start or Revisit next to this line item and enter the applicable information. 

@Taxes Stink

RP_45

I already did my taxes.  But I need to amend them, because I need to enter my 529 contribution.  I live in New Mexico but can’t find the place to enter it and was never prompted to enter it.  Can someone help me.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies