When I can't file state electronically

When I can't file state electronically

Last year I attempted to file my state form electronically. I paid the fee, but when TurboTax attempted to file my state tax forms, I was told that my return had elements that could not be filed electronically. So, I still had to mail the forms in, but I was out the electronic filing fee. So, I am concerned about attempting the same thing this year lest I end up paying the fee and still having to mail the forms in. Any suggestions?

When I can't file state electronically

What state return are you trying to file?

When I can't file state electronically

Alabama

When I can't file state electronically

Have you e-filed your federal return yet?  You will not be able to e-file your state return until you do this.  

Also, there is not an "electronic filing fee", this is the fee for preparing your filing with the software.  

When I can't file state electronically

I don't care what it's called. I'm just saying that last year I paid the fee to file my Alabama state taxes electronically. Then after filing, I was sent a message that Alabama couldn't accept my taxes electronically because there were certain forms they could not accept that way. I could not find a way to get a refund for the fee, so I was out that money and still had to mail my Alabama forms.

This year I have already filed my Federal taxes electronically, but it would be nice if the state electronic filing fee was not charged until after the state accepts them.