Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tmltml

What values should I enter on the State of Wisconsin "Adjustments for pre-2011 Contributions" boxes. I did not have an HSA before 2011.

Some of the values should automatically carry over from the Federal forms

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What values should I enter on the State of Wisconsin "Adjustments for pre-2011 Contributions" boxes. I did not have an HSA before 2011.

If you made contributions to an HSA prior to 2011, Wisconsin did not permit the deduction of such contributions. However, subsequent to 2010, Wisconsin passed a law that enabled you to make adjustments to your current income in order to simulate taking the HSA contributions prior to 2010.

NOTE: this applies ONLY if you were in Wisconsin prior to 2011, filing a state return, and contributing to an HSA at the federal level.

Since you did not have an HSA before 2011, this screen does not apply to you; just leave the section blank and continue.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

If you made contributions to an HSA prior to 2011, Wisconsin did not permit the deduction of such contributions. However, subsequent to 2010, Wisconsin passed a law that enabled you to make adjustments to your current income in order to simulate taking the HSA contributions prior to 2010.

NOTE: this applies ONLY if you were in Wisconsin prior to 2011, filing a state return, and contributing to an HSA at the federal level.

Since you did not have an HSA before 2011, this screen does not apply to you; just leave the section blank and continue.

armiges

I did have an HSA in WI prior to 2010 and have lived here the entire time.  The amount at that time was not much and my distributions over the following three years exceed that amount.  The program only allows me to enter $0, not a negative balance, but then won't accept the distributions made in 2020.  Is this a software issue?  How should I address this?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@armiges If you made HSA contributions in 2020 through your employer (Code W in Box 12 of your W-2), TurboTax picks this up automatically when you enter your W-2.

In the HSA section, you need to indicate what type of HDHP (High Deductible Health Plan) you had to make you eligible to make contributions.  

If you made other HSA Contributions on your own, click this link for info on How to Enter HSA Contributions.

This link gives info on How to Enter 1099-SA to report distributions from your HSA account for 2020. 

If your State return is asking for contributions made prior to 2011, enter that amount as a positive number. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have a question re: the questions on the same page in TurboTax.  The first question there asks what the value of HSA was on 12/31/2010 minus any distributions in 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014.  In my case that amount is $0.   (whatever I had in the HSA in 2010 minus the distributions in those years, should be $0).

The second question on that TurboTax page is:  "HSA distributions in 2021 (change if incorrect)?"    So I entered $2665 from my 1099-SA form.  

The third question on that TurboTax page is:  "Amount of 2021 distribution used for medical expenses (not more than Value of HSAs you entered above)?"    **This is confusing because I used the entire 2021 distribution of $2664  for medical expenses but it is more than "Value of HSAs" in the first question.    

When I entered $2664 for the third question, I get an error that says "The amount used for medical expenses should not be larger than the value of HSAs on December 31, 2010 minus distributions in 2011, 2012 and 2013."

So can somebody tell me what they are really asking for in each question?   Thanks in advance!

BillM223
Expert Alumni

NOTE: this applies ONLY if you were in Wisconsin prior to 2011, filing a state return, and contributing to an HSA at the federal level. If not, leave the section blank and continue.

See the screenshot below. The first line asks you for the value of your HSA in 2010, less distributions made in 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014.

The second line asks for your HSA distributions in 2021. Note that this is all expenses (even perhaps for non-medical ones).

The third line asks for which of the 2021 distributions were for qualified medical expenses...BUT you are expected to enter no large than the amount in the first line - that is, it is really asking for "what part of the remaining pre-2011 HSA value did you distribute in 2021 for qualified medical expenses?" Viewed this way, because you are charging off some of the 2021 distributions against it the remaining pre-2011 HSA value, it's clear that you can't use more then the remaining pre-2011 HSA amount in 2021 for this purpose. 

Just limit the third entry to be no larger than the first entry, and the return will be correct.

In your case, enter zero.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Many thanks, your response is MUCH appreciated.  The Third Question really could use a better explanation in the software for “the portion” of the 2021 distribution they are asking someone to enter.  Thanks again for your response!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies