Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What principal address t o use for California state tax filing?

I moved to a new home within a different county, lets call it County A in California last year September. Before that I was lived for rest of the year in the same house in another county, call it County B, so for majority of 2020 I lived in County B. I currently live in County A. Which county should I choose as county of principal residence now that I am filing my state tax for California?

The TT Learn More comment on this is confusing: "Enter the county where you have your principal/physical residence on the date that you file your Form 540. If you reside in a foreign country at the time of filing, leave the county field blank. The home that you used the majority of the time during the year is considered your principal residence for that year."

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Use your current residence, county A.   The last statement is confusing but it applies if you have multiple residences at the same time - if you had multiple residences, the one you spent the most time at would be the ''principal''.    But you only had one residence at any point during the year, so both residences are considered your 'principal residence'.  Use the county (A) that is your residence now since you are filing your taxes now.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Use your current residence, county A.   The last statement is confusing but it applies if you have multiple residences at the same time - if you had multiple residences, the one you spent the most time at would be the ''principal''.    But you only had one residence at any point during the year, so both residences are considered your 'principal residence'.  Use the county (A) that is your residence now since you are filing your taxes now.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is unbelievably confusing and frustrating. We moved in early 2022 from California to Virginia, after spending the past 22 years in CA. The "principal address AT TIME OF FILING" would clearly be our Virginia address, where we want to receive correspondence, etc. But then it says principal address is where you spent the majority of the year. Stupid and contradictory!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies