turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mspock24

What is the form nyc-1127?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

23 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

The NYC-1127 is the personal income tax return for  non-residents of NYC who are employees of the City of New York.

Under Section 1127 of the City Charter, if you are a City employee who lives outside the City and you were hired after January 4, 1973, as a condition of employment you agreed to pay to the City an amount equal to a City personal income tax on residents, computed and determined as if you were a resident of the City.

Section 1127 of the New York City Charter does not apply to you if you work for the Department of Education, City University of New York, District Attorneys' Offices, or New York City Housing Authority. Also, it does not apply if you are a NYC Housing Authority or Transit Police transferred into the New York Police Department.

To access this form in TurboTax, on the screen Take a look at New York City credits and taxes ,scroll down to New York City Employment Taxes and choose to  start NYC Nonresident Employees Tax (NYC-1127)  See the screenshot. Proceed with the interview until you reach the screen Print and File Form NYC-1127. There you will be able to print out your form.

Form 1127 isn't e-filed with your return, it gets printed and mailed.

http://www1.nyc.gov/site/finance/taxes/personal-income-tax-and-non-resident-employees.page

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi Isabella- Thank you for the information.  I have attempted to verify the following "Section 1127 of the New York City Charter does not apply to you if you work for the Department of Education, City University of New York, District Attorneys' Offices, or New York City Housing Authority." I cannot locate this information in the NYC 1127 instructions, and it seems that there are conflicting views amongst tax preparers. 

If you can point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated. 

Regards

Pete

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Isabella found this information under "What is the Section 1127 Waiver?" on this NYC page.

MBR3

Where can input the NYC 1127 withheld wages on the federal and the NY return?

MBR3

Where can I input the withheld wages on the Federal and the NY returns?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

You enter it on the same screen where you enter all the other W-2 information on you federal return and it will carry over to the state return.

jervacox

I use Proseries and my client has a figure in Box 25 of the W2 but Proseries does not have that box for data input

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Box 25 of the W-2? The W-2 does not have a box 25. It goes up only to box 20.

We don't support Proseries here in this Community (try here), but if you meant box 20 or below, perhaps there is a check box that says, "I have information in more boxes", which might expose more boxes.

Jay T

Hello..

I work for MTA and wanted to know does this apply to me as well in regards to filing a form 1127. I am getting mixed answers. Some people that I asked stated that we don’t have to file as we are considered state and not city workers...and others are saying yes. The only thing I receive is a W-2 form. This is my first tax filing year living in NJ and work in NYC 

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

You do not need to file Form NYC-1127. Generally, only New York City employees living outside of the 5 boroughs must file Form NYC-1127.  

You are considered a NYC employee if you are employed in a New York City Government agencies such as NYPD, FDNY, Department of Finance, Department of Sanitation. The MTA is not a government agency. 

@JayT

Jay T

@LenaH  thank you so much! Omg! I filed my taxes two weeks ago. And filed that form! What wouldI have to do to correct it because it’s been accepted already! I’m not sure if that part is sent electronically I believe it may have been mailed through you guys. Also, would I have to pay another fee to get this fixed?? I’m kinda freaking out 

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Form NYC-1127 cannot be e-filed as it is unsupported by TurboTax for e-file. Although you can populate this form in TurboTax, you would have to had physically mail it. The form should be with your IT-201 if it was populated.

Since your NYC-1127 was never mailed out, then your return does not have to be amended. 

@Jay T  

What if the City employee lives in PA and has a side business in PA walking dogs on weekends. Does income from that side business get calculated into the amount they owe on the City waiver? It looks like Turbo Tax adds all of the city employees income no matter the source as the amount of tax liability to the City.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

No, you can see the 2020 NYC-1127 Form is all about the NY income. The PA should not be included.

You need to review your NY state return and make sure that you have marked your PA income as not NY income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies