Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: What is form 540and why do I have to wait for it

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

40 Replies

Many forms and schedules are not yet ready.  When the IRS/state has finalized the forms you need then you will be able to file.  Click Review to see what you have to wait for.  The IRS is not accepting returns until January 27, so there is no hurry to file now.  Filing now would not result in an early refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

540 is the California State tax return.  If you filed federal you have to wait until the IRS accepts it before you can efile the CA 540.  The IRS won't start Processing Federal returns until Jan 27, 2020 so you can't file state until then.

MOsuna13

I'm having the same issue... I thought I filed both my Federal and State taxes together (for Cali) and today I got an email saying, "Your tax forms are ready. The wait is over! The tax forms we needed to finish up your taxes are ready to go. (finish now button) We're ready to walk you through : Form 540, California resident income tax return." When I clicked to log onto my account and I go to my main tax page it shows that both my federal and state were accepted. I don't know if I have to file a 540 form or not because no where on the page does it show anything pending. Am I missing something?

AlexanderS08
Expert Alumni

If you have gone into the electronic filing center and can see your return is "Accepted" then you can disregard the email.

Many customers prepared their taxes early but were not able to file until electronic filing opened.

This is why you should verify with your own eyes whether or not the return has been "Accepted" by California.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am still receiving an error on my California submission, it reads;

Your transmission didn't go through
We could not e-file your return for the following reason:
We're sorry, there was a problem while processing your return. Please retry to verify your return was sent.

I also received the email giving the go ahead. I spoke with a rep and they said that California wasn't accepting until the 6th...this has never been so difficult. 

I absolutely agree... It should at least let the customers know what the problem was while processing the return, aka California wont accept returns until 2/6/2020. I've submitted the darn thing like 5 times with the same response:

Your transmission didn't go through   

We could not e-file your return for the following reason:   

We're sorry, there was a problem while processing your return. Please retry to verify your return was sent.

Looks like I will try again on 2/6/2020.... super irritating 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

CA is very frustrating. They don't even have the instruction booklet published yet. They have a link for it though. CA instructions.

For those who itemize on their CA return, CA itemizing issues.

For those having other CA issues:

Ca is really behind on releasing their forms. Turbo Tax uses drafts but cannot do anything until CA finalizes. You can check CA forms availability. Once finalized, Turbo Tax has to program and test before release to the public.

Please note that there are many CA forms that are unsupported for e-file this year.

kswagg98

I'm having the same problem, but when I previously went to California page to track my refund I was able to track it. Now this morning 2/5/20, I'm getting an error message stating that they can't find my refund with the information submitted, or I must've typed something wrong, or I may need to wait an additional 24 hrs. What happened? I was just able to track my California tax refund yesterday on 2/4/20...

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

You might want to resubmit the request after 24 hours.  With as many tax returns being processed in California, there may be a significant lag time in getting the information.

It’s now 2/10/2020 and I’m still receiving the same message every time I try and file for my state. Is anyone else having the same problem? What can I do?

Is anyone else still having the same problem? I still can’t file my state without receiving the same message. What should I do?

WKins2
Expert Alumni

Form 540 is the CA state return, you need this form is you are required to file a tax return in the state of CA. If you are receiving a message that you cannot file your form 540 that means the form 540 has not been finalized and is not ready to be filed.

To check to see when form 540 will be finalized click here: https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_ca_online_individual.html . Once it has been finalized and released you will be notified and cam file your return. 

In no way was this helpful. I know it’s available. I even received an email from TurboTax saying I can finish filing for state on January 31st. Yet I’m still having the same issue weeks later. This is frustrating 

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Can you clarify which of the issues is affecting you?  The form is available, but we are still hearing reports that California is slow to process eFiled returns.  With some more specific information about which issue is affecting your return, we would be happy to see if we can provide any additional assistance. 

@marebear1997

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies