Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What if i moved to another state and started working in the new state that same year, but never made any income in the previous state? Do i have to file still?

I recently moved from Louisiana to Minnesota. While living in Louisiana, I was a stay at home mom and did not work the whole year of 2017. Well, when I moved to Minnesota I started working (July 2017). Since I made no income in Louisiana.. Do I still have to file ? I have already registered and can't clear and start over. Can I create a new account? i can't delete even though i didn't file

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

What if i moved to another state and started working in the new state that same year, but never made any income in the previous state? Do i have to file still?

You are correct!  A Louisiana (LA) state return would not be required because you did not have any taxable income while living there.  This assumes the only taxable income you had was from working.  In other words, no rental property or other types of income derived from LA sources.

You can create a new account, and as long as you haven't filed yet you can start over under a new account to add the right state return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

You are correct!  A Louisiana (LA) state return would not be required because you did not have any taxable income while living there.  This assumes the only taxable income you had was from working.  In other words, no rental property or other types of income derived from LA sources.

You can create a new account, and as long as you haven't filed yet you can start over under a new account to add the right state return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies