Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What address to use on California 540?

Lived in California all of 2021, moved to Florida in January 2022. How do I fill out the CA540 residence section? Using Turbotax Deluxe, put my new Florida address in the "Personal Information" section as my new mailing address. This filled in on my Federal 1040 which is good. It also filled in on my full year CA540 resident return. OK so far. In the CA return it asks for Principle Residence Information. Is your FL address the same as your principal/physical residence address at the time of filing? Not sure if my CA address should be at the top and the FL one in the principal address section or vice a versa? Please help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

You will answer the questions as though you were a full time resident in 2021 because you did not move until January 2022.

You were domiciled in California, so be sure to make that selection on the screen 'Your State of Domicile'.  This is concerning tax year 2021, so likewise enter 365 days spent in California in 2021.  See the images below.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, principal. Use the address where the state can contact you if necessary, your current address.CA understands people move. Showing your new address is best.

Yes, of course-nothing to hide. I am just trying to figure out how to properly fill out the CA 540 form. Turbotax asks for you "mailing address" at the beginning of the program-that is FL for me. Then later in the CA interview section it asks what your residence address is. Should my full year resident CA return show my CA address at the top and them my FL address in the principal residence section-or vice versa?

Principal Residence

If you are under 18 years old or have not filed a California resident income tax return in the prior year, then leave the county and principal/physical address fields blank.

Only complete this section if you are age 18 or older and you have filed a California resident income tax return in the prior year.

• County - Enter the county where you have your principal/physical residence on the date that you file your Form 540. If you reside in a foreign country at the time of filing, leave the county field blank.
  • If your principal/physical residence address at the time of filing is the same as the address you provided at the top of this form, check the box provided on this line.
  • If your principal/physical residence address at the time of filing is different from the address at the top of this form, provide the address of your principal/physical residence in the spaces provided.
  • If you reside in a foreign country at the time of filing, enter the city, province or state, and country in the city field. Follow the country’s practice for entering the postal code. Do not abbreviate the country name.
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

You will answer the questions as though you were a full time resident in 2021 because you did not move until January 2022.

You were domiciled in California, so be sure to make that selection on the screen 'Your State of Domicile'.  This is concerning tax year 2021, so likewise enter 365 days spent in California in 2021.  See the images below.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies