Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W2 in state return

I am about to file my return but Turbo Tax keeps telling me:  "Form 540: Line 12-State Wages does not equal the sum  of the state wages entered on the Form W-2 Worksheet(s), Box 16.   If you would like to change this value, go to the federal program and enter the correct amount on the Form W-2 Worksheet(s), Box 16."  The problem is that I have no W-2's because I did not work for wages during the year.  All my income is social security, IRA's, pensions and investments.  I try to enter 0. but that doesn't make TT happy.  What can I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Expert Alumni

W2 in state return

Instead of entering a 0, try leaving the field blank.  It sounds like the program is just wanting you to confirm that the wages filed should be empty.   You can check your W-2 summary and confirm that there are no W-2s listed on your tax return and then go back over your CA state return and get them filed.  

To review your W-2 wages, type W-2 into the search box whenever you are signed into your return.  When you click the Jump to W-2 link, you will be taken to your W-2 summary.  From there, delete any W-2s you see on screen.  Then click on State (left menu)  and go over your state return again, making sure not to enter any data on the state wages screen.  When you review the return, continue through the screens to file your return.  You should no receive any e-file errors.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

W2 in state return

Instead of entering a 0, try leaving the field blank.  It sounds like the program is just wanting you to confirm that the wages filed should be empty.   You can check your W-2 summary and confirm that there are no W-2s listed on your tax return and then go back over your CA state return and get them filed.  

To review your W-2 wages, type W-2 into the search box whenever you are signed into your return.  When you click the Jump to W-2 link, you will be taken to your W-2 summary.  From there, delete any W-2s you see on screen.  Then click on State (left menu)  and go over your state return again, making sure not to enter any data on the state wages screen.  When you review the return, continue through the screens to file your return.  You should no receive any e-file errors.  

dpdudley

W2 in state return

I have the same problem, and the 540 will not except a blank. I have no W2's 

It will not file state return, jest keeps asking to update W2 work sheet.

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

W2 in state return

It would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2021" file that is experiencing this issue. You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information. If you would like to do this, here are the instructions if you are using TurboTax online: 

1. From the left menu select Tax Tools. 
  2. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  3. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  4. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent. 
  5. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is. Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 
  6. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

If you are using TurboTax Desktop then please see these instructions:

1. On your menu bar at the very top, click "Online"
  2. Select "Send Tax File to Agent"
  3. Click "Send"
  4. The pop-up will have a token number
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

W2 in state return

I am about to file my return but Turbo Tax keeps telling me: "Form 540: Line 12-State Wages does not equal the sum of the state wages entered on the Form W-2 Worksheet (s), Box 16. If you would like to change this value, go to the federal program and enter the correct amount on the Form W-2 Worksheet (s), Box 16."

How do i file my return if I cannot get by this error?

Token #1068756

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

W2 in state return

Do you receive this message under the Review process?

Are you able to make the correction in box 16 of the W-2?  You may also try deleting the entire line (click trashcan) and re-entering the data.

If you are unable to make the correction in box 16 of the W-2, have you tried deleting the entry ('0') in the Review message?

@Nightthief 

W2 in state return

I'm having same issue. I have NO W2 forms at all. So nothing to delete. Error is occurring when I attempt to file state (CA) tax. I have put in "0" and also deleted line 12 and left blank. Same error occurs.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

W2 in state return

Check your federal w-2 summary, anyway.   Search for w-2 and use the Jump to w-2 link to go to the summary.    If you are using desktop, use Forms Mode and find the w-2 entry that has been started on the federal return.    And any field that is zero should be left blank.   Have you gone through the CA state interview in its entirety?    @erfnerfgirl 

dpdudley

W2 in state return

I think the State W-2 info comes from Fed info. 

W2 in state return

I have a token number for a review.  #1235109   My area of interest for the review is the sale of a rental property.  Can you help me with that?

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

W2 in state return

This discussion is about Form W-2 issues. Please create a new discussion with complete information on the questions you have about the sale of your rental property.

To start a new discussion, use the "Post Your Question" button from any thread in TurboTax Community.

@mobster27 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies