Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Utah income tax on "your share of additions distributed to you by a non-resident trust."

Hi, I have done my federal income tax return, which included income distributed by a Texas testamentary trust reported to me on Schedule K-1.  Upon starting my Utah state tax return, I am prompted for "items that need to be included in Utah taxable income if they were excluded from federal adjusted gross income," including "your share of additions distributed to you by a non-resident trust." I am not at all sure what this is supposed to mean. My first thought is that since the income reported to me on Schedule K-1 is included in my federal adjusted gross income this year, I don't need to add any additional income to my Utah state return. My second thought is that I would have to add additional income to my Utah state income tax return if my distribution included principal as well as income (not the case this year), because undistributed net income (previously taxed at the trust level for federal purposes, but not by any state because it's Texas trust and Texas has no income tax) had been accumulated and added to principal in prior years. I think the relevant Utah code section is 59-10-114(g). Am I on the right track here? Thanks for any insights.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Utah income tax on "your share of additions distributed to you by a non-resident trust."

Were you able to resolve your issue here or are you still needing guidance? 

Make sure you have ran all updates. 

If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.

If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.

If you still are not able to solve this, please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No, no helpful comments yet.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

"Your share of additions distributed to you by a non-resident trust" appears to refer to Utah code §59-10-114(1)(g).

Enter any distribution received by a resident beneficiary of a nonresident trust of undistributed distributable net income realized by the trust on or after January 1, 2004, if that undistributed distributable net income was taxed at the trust level for federal tax purposes, but was not taxed at the trust level by any state.

Undistributed distributable net income is considered to be distributed from the most recently accumulated undistributed distributable net income.

@mkaprelian 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies