turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lizek

TurboTax said I was eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit. Online TT program would not let me remove the credit. Rejected by IRS. Anyone else has this TT coding error?

No option for me to decline the credit in TT it just said I was eligible. IRS just rejected my filing.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

TurboTax said I was eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit. Online TT program would not let me remove the credit. Rejected by IRS. Anyone else has this TT coding error?

What error code?

The final review will ask about the credit and ask how much you already received.  If you already received it all then no credit will be added.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
lizek

But, I have not received any payments, so I answered truthfully that I had not. Apparently, there are many people who still have not received checks. Now, I do not think that I am eligible, but TurboTax said I was. So this is very misleading from TT. 

@lizek wrote:

But, I have not received any payments, so I answered truthfully that I had not. Apparently, there are many people who still have not received checks. Now, I do not think that I am eligible, but TurboTax said I was. So this is very misleading from TT. 

What is misleading? If you have not receive any then why would you not be eligible?    The stimulus is based on your 2020 tax return only.  Your status in 2019 is irrelevant.

It calculates the stimulus that you qualify for based on the information  that you enter into your tax return.     You must enter all your information for it to be accurate.    Then it asks how much you already received and subtracts that.  If you received it all then final amount will be zero.   TurboTax does not know what you have received so it has to ask.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
lizek

Let me explain better. I put in all of the information TT wanted. I believe it was accurate. Then TT said "congratulations" you have a Recovery Rebate of $xxxx. TT calculated it and there was no option to say "no" or correct it. I trusted that TT got the calculations correct.

Somewhere as one of the posters said there was a question to say whether we have received any checks. I answered "no" because we have not.  Now the IRS has rejected the filing and said that we are not eligible for the recovery rebate credit and should not have claimed it.  So, my frustration is with TT for saying that I was eligible when I was not. 

So I am wondering if anyone else got a surprise when TT said they were eligible and then find out that they are not. But nonetheless, TT got it wrong and now there is a delay already in me receiving any refund and a further delay since I have to wait to refile. This is the third error in their coding this year that I have experienced. So not pleased with TT. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies