turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax not allowing to eFile my NY State return after filing Federal on paper.

I prepared a return for my child who is under 16 and first-time filer so Turbotax alert message said a paper return was required for Federal.  After going through that paper process for Federal return, I returned to the menu and tried to restart the process for NY State return.  When I click on button for eFile it starts again with the federal return first and I get the same alert message that Federal return is required to be paper filed in this case. There does not appear to be a way to bypass and go straight to eFile for NY State.  So when I go to select paper file for NY State I get an alert message that NY state is mandatory to eFile when return is prepared by tax software. I keep getting in an endless loop.  Turbotax needs to fix this bug.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Turbotax not allowing to eFile my NY State return after filing Federal on paper.

You cannot e-file a state return if the federal return was not e-filed and accepted.   Your NY return, can, in fact, be filed by mail.

New York prefers e-filed returns, but there are certain circumstances that make it necessary for you to file your NY return by mail and the state DOES allow mailed returns.    If you could not or did not e-file your federal return then your NY return cannot be e-filed.   It has to be mailed.   It is not possible to e-file any state return if the federal return was not e-filed and accepted by the IRS.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/efile/efile_mandate_for_individuals.htm

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/return_assembly_mail.htm

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you for the response.  I understand what you are suggesting, however it doesn't line up with what is explicitly stated on the NY state website at the links provided.  It also does not line up with the instructions and warnings on the printed package from TurboTax when I follow the paper file process.   Quite clearly the language says it is required, not merely preferred.

"You're required to electronically file your return if you meet all three of the following conditions:

-you use software to prepare your own personal income tax return; and
     -your software supports the electronic filing of your return; and
     -you have broadband Internet access."

When I printed the paper return documents from TurboTax the last section of the 2 page instructions say "You can still file electronically. Just go back to TurboTax, select the File tab, then select the E-file category." Which we already know does not work.

The 4th page has in big bold type "New York State requires this income tax return to be filed electronically."

"New York State law requires income tax returns prepared using software to be e-filed. Because this New York
State tax return was prepared using software, you MUST file it electronically. Besides being the law, e-filing has many advantages"

It is not at all reassuring to just mail it anyway.

2nd point says......your software supports the electronic filing of your return.....   which Turbo Tax doesn't support if you didn't efile federal or already used the 5 efiles.  So don't worry about it.  You have to mail state.  It's ok to mail New York.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies