Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax keeps correcting my colorado tax return from partial resident to nonresident despite me accurately entering my 8 months of residency there. please help

I correctly entered as form 104: Colorado part year resident tax return. it even asks if that's what I want, saying "based on the information entered on your federal return, you should file "form 104: Colorado part year resident tax return"
But then in the review, it continues to show nonresident. please help
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Turbotax keeps correcting my colorado tax return from partial resident to nonresident despite me accurately entering my 8 months of residency there. please help

First, check what you've input in the federal portion of TurboTax.  Then update the state portion.  To do this:  

1. Open TurboTax Online
  2. Select Tax Home in the left pane
  3. On the Hi, let's keep working on your taxes! screen, select the dropdown on the right side of the My Info box, then select Edit
  4. On the Personal info summary screen, select Edit to the right of the first taxpayer listed
  5. If you need to change your state of residence by selecting the dropdown to the right of State of residence (on December 31, 2023)
  6. Make sure the correct bullet is populated next to I lived in another state in 2023
  7. Select Continue
  8. When you return to the Personal info summary screen, make the same change for your spouse, if necessary

Then, when you get to the state section of your return, make sure that your state return's residency status is appropriate for the period ending December 31, 2023.  This will be one of the first screens in the state interview.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies