Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax does not recognize my (legal, accurate, 100% correct) Social Security number when I try to call. TT is incorrectly stating that the IRS has accepted my return.

I'm having multiple issues where the information I see in TurboTax does not match what the IRS or my state portal say about the status of my tax returns. TT says the federal return has been accepted and is on the way but the IRS says I need to verify my identity before they can accept the return. Additionally, the state portion says Pending in TT but the state portal in Colorado says no return has been submitted.

When I try to call to get clarifying information, the phone system does not recognize my Social Security number even though it is correct, and bounces me out of the call before letting me talk to anyone.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

TurboTax does not recognize my (legal, accurate, 100% correct) Social Security number when I try to call. TT is incorrectly stating that the IRS has accepted my return.

Did the IRS send you a letter to request that you verify your identity?  Or so far are you just seeing that as a message on the IRS refund site?  If you are seeing a message for yourself on the IRS site----the IRS has your tax return and recognizes your SSN.  They are vigilant about possible tax fraud and identity theft, so do not take it personally.  If they want more information from you they will send you a letter in the mail.

As for CO----CO delayed accepting e-files until Monday, February 12 and they are working through a backlog of returns.   It may take a week or more before anything starts to show up on the CO refund site with information about your CO refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I'm seeing a message on the IRS refund site that I need to wait for them to send me a letter, to then verify my ID, to then get the tax return. The unfortunate thing is I was relying on TurboTax to provide at least somewhat accurate information about the return ETA and whether anything else was needed from me. Now I'm finding out that not only do I need to take additional steps to complete the return but I also have to wait several more weeks to get the money I was expecting to have access to today.

I don't understand why TurboTax's phone system won't recognize my Social Security number when it prompts for it, though it sounds like their reps wouldn't be able to help me anyway. I just wanted to make sure my data was transmitted accurately particularly my address as the return was 'accepted' by the IRS a full month ago and I still haven't seen a letter from them.

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, Xmasbaby is right, if you see any information about your refund status on the IRS website that means they have accepted your tax return.

Regarding the estimated date for your refund, estimated means an educated guess based on facts, history and the experiences of others. 

You can check the address on your tax return very easily:

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account.
  2. Select Print or preview my return.
  3. Check the address on the return. 

If you still feel like you need to contact TurboTax Support, follow this link to learn how. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies