turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

twtrout

Turbo Tax will not let me file my 2016 Return without entering an Employer's State ID Number for my wife's job as a substitute teacher. We live in Tennessee.

That number is not on any of our W-2 Forms because our state, Tennessee, does not collect state income tax individual income.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

Turbo Tax will not let me file my 2016 Return without entering an Employer's State ID Number for my wife's job as a substitute teacher. We live in Tennessee.

That shouldn't really pose a problem; or at least not one that will prevent you from filing your tax return.  Please allow me to explain.

The only truly meaningful elements on a W-2 for income tax filing purposes are your employer's federal EIN (Employer's ID number), your own Social Security Number (SSN), and your actual wage data.  If there was a mistake made with any of these items, then that would definitely be something that requires attention.

However, with respect to the state number ID issue, it won't really matter what you input in Box 15 Employer ID, as long as the software will accept it (explained below).  Simply try leaving the space entirely blank at first.  If there is any issue with Box 15 that prevents e-filing your return with a blank Box 15, and it absolutely requires some value in the software, then either try using your Federal EIN here (i.e., enter it over again in the State ID field), or enter a clearly "fictitious" value such as 12345 67890 (with a space in the middle, or not).

If the TurboTax program asks you for a state ID number in a specific format, such as needing exactly 9-digits and ending in XYZ,  for instance, then just enter a value that conforms to that format . . . such as 123456XYZ.  This will enable you to bypass the issue and file your return.  In other words, try to be a little creative here, and just give the software some value (even a made-up one) that it will accept.  You can try several different approaches, until you reach one that works for you.

As you correctly point out in your question, Tennessee does not even tax wage income, so the State ID field on her W-2 is effectively a moot point.  As such, this single issue should not affect the processing of your tax return in any manner, no matter what number you input in the State ID field, as long as you can satisfy the software with some acceptable input (or none at all).

Thank you for asking this question.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

That shouldn't really pose a problem; or at least not one that will prevent you from filing your tax return.  Please allow me to explain.

The only truly meaningful elements on a W-2 for income tax filing purposes are your employer's federal EIN (Employer's ID number), your own Social Security Number (SSN), and your actual wage data.  If there was a mistake made with any of these items, then that would definitely be something that requires attention.

However, with respect to the state number ID issue, it won't really matter what you input in Box 15 Employer ID, as long as the software will accept it (explained below).  Simply try leaving the space entirely blank at first.  If there is any issue with Box 15 that prevents e-filing your return with a blank Box 15, and it absolutely requires some value in the software, then either try using your Federal EIN here (i.e., enter it over again in the State ID field), or enter a clearly "fictitious" value such as 12345 67890 (with a space in the middle, or not).

If the TurboTax program asks you for a state ID number in a specific format, such as needing exactly 9-digits and ending in XYZ,  for instance, then just enter a value that conforms to that format . . . such as 123456XYZ.  This will enable you to bypass the issue and file your return.  In other words, try to be a little creative here, and just give the software some value (even a made-up one) that it will accept.  You can try several different approaches, until you reach one that works for you.

As you correctly point out in your question, Tennessee does not even tax wage income, so the State ID field on her W-2 is effectively a moot point.  As such, this single issue should not affect the processing of your tax return in any manner, no matter what number you input in the State ID field, as long as you can satisfy the software with some acceptable input (or none at all).

Thank you for asking this question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies