Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MAResident
Returning Member

TT won't let me eFile for CA even after I fixed the issue it said prevented eFile

TL;DR - 

Non-resident with CA income from K-1. I think I fixed the issue TT said prevented my CA eFile. When I go back to attempt eFile it again, it only allows for mailing a return. How do I get it to actually review the return again to see that the previous issue is resolved?

Detailed version - 

MA resident with CA income from K-1. During initial review of my CA return, TT said there was an issue and presented me a with a raw form view to fill in a single value (with no instructions). It was something about withholdings that had been reported on my K-1. I put in the same withholdings value from my K-1 again. I finished my returns and all looked good. No errors were reported in CA state review. I paid for my federal and state returns and assumed I could eFile them.

At the File stage, it say there was an issue and form 592-B needed to be included. It gave me a raw view of form 592-B with no instructions, but I noticed the form itself said that this was not for withholdings reported on a K-1. After some research, I realized I made an error the first time it gave me a raw CA form to add a value to. That first form had been asking for the withholding amount from 592-B and should have been 0.

After more research (thanks to the Community here), I found that a potential way to address the issue was to delete 592-B manually. I deleted that form and went back through my CA return. In the CA state review process, it asked me to fill in the same lone field value it had originally asked about and this time I entered 0 since that is the correct value. No further errors were reported. I went back to File and it didn't prompt me about any specific issue with CA and eFiling, but it said that mailing was the only option due to a tax situation it can't handle. I eFiled for CA last year without a problem and don't know what a legitimate problem could be this year.

It is acting like a flag had been set for CA to disallow eFiling and could not be changed. I have tried making various changes to my CA and federal returns to get it to re-evaluate the CA return, but all with no luck. Note that this issue only came up AFTER I had paid in full and it was never reported in the CA state review. For context, a different state in my return tells me every time I do the state review that it can't be eFiled due to the federal K-1. So, How can I get TT to reconsider the CA return and let me eFile it?

I tried reaching out for help during the hours TT support is supposed to be available, but it just tells me they are currently closed and they are open Monday-Sunday 5AM - 9PM Pacific (which I was smack in the middle of).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

TT won't let me eFile for CA even after I fixed the issue it said prevented eFile

Try contacting Support again (they're probably busy at this time of the year).

How do I contact TurboTax? (intuit.com)

MAResident
Returning Member

Thank you for the suggestion. I reached back out to them today and was able to get connected to a representative on the phone within a few minutes (no wait). The agent was very polite and did her best to help me over about 40 minutes, including going through the return with my screen being shared. Unfortunately, she was unable to find any issues she could resolve and said I'd need to talk to a tax expert to to look into it further. When she tried to transfer me to one, I got an automated message saying no experts were available and they are open 5AM - 9PM Pacific Time. The line hung up on me at that point. That happened at about 5:45PM Pacific Time, so they should have still been open. I tried to reach out to Tech Support again and it would not let me talk to a person and just said they were closed.

It seems that TurboTax advertises 5AM-9PM support but doesn't come anywhere close to meeting that. I guess my next option is try again earlier in the day tomorrow, which is difficult because I need to work during the day. Hopefully I can get lucky in getting through to the next level of support. Very frustrating experience, especially since the issue only came up after I had already paid in full. I considered deleting my CA return and creating a new one from scratch, but I'm not sure if it will let me do that without charging me again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies