Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT 2023 Premier will not install in c:\program files (x86) directory

I have used TTax, Quicken, Quickbooks, etc. for over 25 years.  Getting pretty good at them!

Current desktop pc has TTax Premier 2018-2022 installed. 

I've always, SUCCESSFULLY, installed the different years' programs in their own custom locations, in the 64 bit C:\program files (x86)\Intuit\TurboTax\Premier 20xx folder, which is not the default directory the TTax installers try to force.  Each year, I've been able to customize the install from within the TTax installer, change to, and create, the custom folder structure, do the install and run the program with no issues at all.

This year, I cannot override the default installer - it allows me to navigate to the \program files (x86) folder, then allows me to create the Premier 2023 folder and even lists this path in the installer!  But, if I double check the path again before continuing, the installer has defaulted back to the 32 bit  \program files [NO x86] folder.  It honors the rest of my string of custom subfolders, ie: (\Intuit\TurboTax\Premier 2023) but will not allow me to install in the x86 program files folder.  

I want it here - C:\program files (x86)\Intuit\TurboTax\Premier 2023   just like all 5 earlier years

It shoves me here - C:\program files\Intuit\TurboTax\Premier 2023   and will not allow me to override.

Anybody know why this is occurring?  Is it a bug in the installer?  I've always had to watch the install process closely in the past as TTax wants to force the default, but was able to make it do as I wanted.  Not so much this year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

@stevekayak 

While I'm not a computer expert, I think you are mistaken....and have it backwards.

A quick Google search will pop up many discussions, that indicate that the ""Program Files (x86)" directory is specifically for 32-bit programs.   All prior year TTX programs are 32 bit...so putting in there was always OK.

BUT

The new 2023 TTX desktop software is now 64-bit and is supposed to go in the 64-bit "Program Files" directory, and trying to force it into the 32bit (x86) directory would cause problems.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@SteamTrain wouldn't be the first time I had something backwards!

Thanks!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies