turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Personal exemption not correct on return

The return is showing that I am being claimed as a dependent when I told the system that I wasn't
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmandaR1

To check your entry in your return, click Personal Info tab, and click edit next to the first section of your personal information. Scroll down to 3. A few other things we need to know and the first questions asks if "Someone else can claim me as a dependent on their return" you'll need to change your answer to No.

I have the same issue in getting correct personal exemptions in 2016 TurboTax.  Filing married jointly with 3 dependents, line 42 of 1040 form only shows 2 x $4,050 instead of 5 x $4,050.  All 3 dependents fulfilled the dependent test. I checked "No" in "Someone else can claim me as a dependent on their return" for all 3 dependents!  I had no issue in same personal exemptions calculations in the past 10 years' version of TurboTax.  I always got 5x personal exemptions in the past.  Is it some bugs need to be fixed?
AmandaR1

There's no bug with dependent exemptions. This question was someone about a different mistake the customer made in entry. You need to check the status of your dependents by clicking the "Personal Info" tab and scrolling down to the "Status" of each of your dependents. Otherwise, you should post a new question because this is a different topic.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies