Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

They are asking me to enter my total NY 529 contributions from 1998-2017. Where would i get this information quickly?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
FaithY
Expert Alumni

They are asking me to enter my total NY 529 contributions from 1998-2017. Where would i get this information quickly?

The quickest way to get the total NY 529 contributions from 1998 to 2017, would be to contact the plan administrator who manages the 529 plan. The contact information for the plan administrator should be on your 529 plan statement.

The NY 529 plan online account page only allows you to see contribution information back to 2003, and you have to select each year and add up the contributions. 

[Edited 1.27.18 | 3:05 PM]

FaithY
Expert Alumni

Please see my updated answer.

Does anyone know why Turbotax is asking for this information?  Is this a new requirement for NYS?  Can it be skipped?  asking for 19 years of historical data is ridiculous - whomever is requiring it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree - this is a super obnoxious question!
Taxi4

Easy peasy if you know where to look!

Go to the account on the 529 site/ click on the account

click on view details

scroll down to investments/ in that box down on the bottom you will see 

Total Fund Assets

Principal    This is the total contributions, what the IRS wants to know. 

Told you it was easy.

That doesn't work if you've withdrawn money over the last few years.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies