turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gidclem

Form TC-40W (1): Payer ID-4 must be 14 characters long without hyphens, you must go back to federal W-2 or 1099 to update the employer/payer state withholding ID.

what does this mean? i have re-entered my info W-2 what do i do now?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Form TC-40W (1): Payer ID-4 must be 14 characters long without hyphens, you must go back to federal W-2 or 1099 to update the employer/payer state withholding ID.

The information flows from the federal into the state forms so the correction has to take place in the federal form. Check the W-2 or 1099 to be sure the employer ID is 14 characters, with no hyphens. If the error refers to a W-2 or 1099 which was imported into Turbo Tax, perhaps some of the data was damaged in the transfer and is not working properly, even if it looks correct on the page.  Deleting the W-2 and manually entering it should solve the problem.  If this does not resolve the error, deleting the state form and recreating it from the federal form should solve the problem.

If you imported your W-2 or 1099 from a source outside Turbo Tax

Please click on the Federal Taxes tab

Click on Wages and Income (Or Income and Expenses in Self-Employed)

If you do not see a prompt for your W-2 or 1099,

Scroll down to Wages and Salaries for the W-2

Or Self Employment or Other Common Income for 1099s

Click on Show More and Revisit

Next to your W-2 or 1099, click on the icon of the trash can to delete

Then, on the same page, Click on Add another

And enter the information manually.

Select Done and Continue to save the information and

Review your State Return again to see if the error clears. 

If you entered your W-2 or 1099 manually or if the above steps do not clear the error, then click on the link below for directions to delete and recreate your state return.  This should resolve the error

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301384

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do we do if we've already paid?

This didn't work - I re-entered the W2 and totally re-did state taxes. What a pain and still the same error.

I have tried manually re-entering both W2s and deleting/re-doing state multiple times. Since there is no live chat support, I'll be switching to another tool now.

I am having an issue with this as well, I actually completely re-did everything. It says that the Employer ID number must be 14 characters long and without hyphens yet my Employer ID has a hyphen and less than 14 characters, but my State Employer ID does not if that is what it's talking about.

Hey>?!  I have done everything I can to get this number to be selected.  So.... what do we do now ?  

justgage

I have this problem as well! and it happened last year too. I think there's a bug because EIN numbers totally should be allowed to have dashes.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

UT Law says: 

Utah State Tax Commission - Information for Utah Businesses

For payer ID:  The Utah withholding account number is a 14-character number. The first eleven characters are numeric and the last three are “WTH.” Do not enter hyphens. Example: 12345678901WTH.

@justgage

No your consultant did not help me it get this resolved.

i have 9 numbers on each of my w2s and 1099s format xx-xxxxxxx

i can file bc turbo tax is saying I need to fix it.

fix it with what?

this is the same format we’ve always used

its a problem on your end

So I figured it out on mine, you have to make sure on box 15 that the wth is lowercase and that there is no UT in front of the numbers. I had uploaded my w-2s by taking pictures and on all of them the wth was capitalized and on one of them it had actually put a UT in front.
bad Ex: UT123456789WTH

correct: 123456789wth

RandyBabe

That worked! You have to make the "WTH" all lower case "wth". Stupid and infuriating but feeling relieved that I'm done with this software. I'll probably go somewhere else next year. 

How did you edit that part? It's giving me no option to edit box 15. So done with TT after this year.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@Drygdor  Go back to the federal income section and edit the w2. This will allow you to change box 15 to the lowercase wth.

Utah State Tax Commission - Information for Utah Businesses

For payer ID:  The Utah withholding account number is a 14-character number. The first eleven characters are numeric and the last three are “wth.” Do not enter hyphens. Example: 12345678901wth. 

Why do the last three letters have to be lowercase? This has got to be a bug. I see this error every year, and it makes no sense with the forms we get. TurboTax needs to fix this simple bug and save me the hour or 20 minutes it takes me every time to figure out or remember or find the solution again. They should be paying me for the wasted time they should have fixed years ago.

The letters are uppercased on my employer's tax documents, yet the form I fill out doesn't mention anything about letter casing; the error page shows an H appended (outside of the filled-out box) as if it's processing it as ###WTHH... but the solution is to lowercase the letters??? None of this makes any sense.

I expect more out of TurboTax. I'll be looking into other things next year, maybe TT doesn't care, I don't know.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies