turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lailey54

We are from puerto rico. Can we fill with turbo tax? We have 3 kids and whant to fill our federal return?. but we are puerto ricans living in Puerto rico

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Carl
Level 15

We are from puerto rico. Can we fill with turbo tax? We have 3 kids and whant to fill our federal return?. but we are puerto ricans living in Puerto rico

You can use TurboTax to file your FEDERAL return only.  You can NOT use TurboTax to file your PR return.

Do note that on screens that ask you to select  your state of residence, just select "Foreign or U.S. Possession" and you'll be fine. The "mailing address" screen *will* have a selection specifically for Puerto Rico.

I could not continue to set-up banking information for my bank in Puerto Rico.  You can only process refunds to a bank in the US.  I have found some banks consider this a "foreign country".  Odd, because my SS checks are directed deposited.  I originally selected TurboTax fee to be deducted from my refund.  I paid directly to TurboTax and my refund amount did not increase back to the amount due me. So TurboTax will be paid twice.  You can't contact them without paying another fee.    
Carl
Level 15

Some banks in Puerto Rico are US based. For example, Citicorp has a presence in PR. But last I heard they were for corporate accounts only, and no personal accounts.

Thank you Carl.  You can't check Puerto Rico when entering your address for confirmation for tax refunds after putting in all the bank information.  I use Banco Popular which has branches in FL and possibly other states.  I get my SS checks direct deposited to this bank, however the bank you use to process refunds requires the person receiving the refund to only have an address from a US State, there is no option for PR or territory, etc. You can't go further in the screen, so I went bank and edited to receive a paper check to be mailed to me.  I figured you could not then deduct your fee which was deducted from the refund amount, so I paid your fee and the refund amount did not go up.  So now you were paid twice for the 2018 return copy and I don't know how to get the overpayment to TurboTax refunded.
Carl
Level 15

Just to provide a bit of clarity here.
" so I paid your fee "
No, you didn't pay "my" fee. This is a public user-to-user forum. I don't assess fees.
@TurboTaxGabi is it correct to state that no fees are paid from the refund since they elected to receive a check? Of does it still go to SBTPG and they will be the ones to send a check?
GabiU
Level 15

That is correct, you must have your refund direct deposited to use the Refund Processing Fee, see info below:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301372">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301372</a>
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies