Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mfazal20

Tax return (filing single) keeps asking me to file for two states (VA and CA), when I have only lived in one state (VA) and have never set foot in the other state (CA).

When filing my tax return, it keeps asking me to file for CA state tax when I haven't worked or lived there.  When I go through the process, I owe $0, but it still requires me to file no resident. I deleted the state return after completing it, but I can't seem to file for my VA state tax because it says I have to file for CA non resident, even though I am filing single and have only one source of income. How do I remove CA state tax from my file? This wasn't an issue in previous years.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Tax return (filing single) keeps asking me to file for two states (VA and CA), when I have only lived in one state (VA) and have never set foot in the other state (CA).

Is it possible that you have a CA instead of VA on your W-2 or 1099-R or other form reported withholding?

Unless you said that you lived in CA (it seems not), this is the other main way that TurboTax would bring up CA.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mfazal20

No, that's the strange thing. I haven't lived or worked in CA, but it keeps popping up on my file. All my W2s are from Virginia, and I only have one employer, who is headquartered in VA.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

See if you can file without filing a California return. Also check your PERSONAL INFO entries to see if you may have inadvertently mentioned California as a state that you previously resided in 2020.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies