Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member


I did the electronic filing and then I went back and realized I hadn't entered what I had paid for state taxes from my 1099-R.  I entered the information and my CA Tax amount due went down (of course).  Do I have to now mail a corrected one after the e-filingg?  They will be pulling the money out before April 15.  I don't want them to get the wrong amount from my checking.

3 Replies
Expert Alumni


If you already filed your return you need to amend it to make any changes. 

You should report the state taxes withheld on your 1099-R on the federal return and the information will flow to your state return. 

When you amend, if the changes does not affect your federal return, you will only need to send the amended state return.


 Wait until the IRS either accepts or rejects your return.

If the IRS rejects your return, you can make the changes and re-submit your return.

If the IRS accepts your return, you have to wait until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund. Then you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. 

  1. In TurboTax, scroll down to Your tax returns & documents. Select Show and then select Amend (change) return, and then Amend using TurboTax Online. (If you don't see Your tax returns & documents, select Tax Home on the left.)
  2. Select the reason you’re amending and follow the instructions

For cancelling or changing the state tax payment you will need to go to your state department of revenue website.

How do I contact my state Department of Revenue?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
New Member


I’m not sure if it helped.  I was trying to see where I have to select on Turbo Tax, even though I have not received a refund yet.  So far it has only been accepted.  I didn’t see any of the named selections I have to make when amending my return.  I hope that once I receive a refund those topics I am to select come up to be able to do as instructed.

Expert Alumni


Since you have already submitted your tax return, you will have to wait until the IRS accepts or rejects your return. You cannot return to the program to make any changes before that. 


If your return got rejected for whatever reasons, you can return to the program to make correction along with other changes.  You do not need an amendment 1040-X.


If your return has been accepted, you will have to amend your return by filing a form 1040X.  You should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.


Beginning with the 2019 tax year, you can e-file amended tax returns. If you used TurboTax to prepare Form 1040-X, follow the software's instructions to e-file the amendment.


To see how to amend your taxes, click here: 


Steps to amend in TurboTax


How to file amendment


A Form 1099-R is issued to the taxpayer if he or she has taken out distribution from their annuities, profit-sharing plans, retirement plans, IRAs, insurance contracts or pensions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings