turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

State Tax Question for Telecommuting for Out of State Employer

Hi all, I have a situation where some advice would be greatly appreciated. I am a CA resident who worked remotely for a NJ company in 2020. I never set foot in NJ all year. I received 2 W-2s, one CA and NJ. Taxes were withheld for both CA and NJ.

I filed my taxes as a CA resident and filed a NR return with NJ to claim all the taxes erroneously withheld to NJ since I never physically worked there. Now, NJ sent me a notice asking for a corrected W2 and a letter from my employer stating that I never worked in NJ. However, my employer refuses to draft that letter for me and has taken a company wide policy to report wages based on where they are located (NJ) and not where I work (CA). So technically the W2s are withheld correctly.

Any idea on what to do? If I have no other option, the only thing I can think of is to file an amended return with CA to get the taxes I paid to them back and refile NJ as well.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Normally the income of a non-resident who never physically worked in NJ would not be taxable by NJ.  However, NJ issued the following guidance during the pandemic:

"However, during the temporary period of the COVID-19 pandemic, wage income will continue to be sourced as determined by the employer in accordance with the employer’s jurisdiction."

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/covid19-payroll.shtml

So I think your best course of action is to file a NJ non-resident tax return along with your CA home state return, and to claim a credit on your CA return for the taxes paid to NJ.

For this to work in TurboTax, you must complete the non-resident NJ return before you do your CA return, so that the program can calculate and apply the credit correctly.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, before I filed my taxes I asked the NJ Tax Dept regarding whether NJ taxes out of state telecommuters, even if they never physically worked there. They responded no and to file a NR return to claim any and all taxes withheld to NJ.  So I did just that and filed CA return and paid taxes there, as well as a NJ non resident return, claiming a full refund. The problem in my situation is this letter that NJ is requiring my employer to write, basically stating that I never physically worked in NJ - which they refuse to write. I guess, it looks like my only option is to file amended returns for both CA and NJ. Hopefully, this won't cause CA to now hound me for taxes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies