amyqiuz

State of residency for student filing independently

I'm originally from Oregon but attended college out-of-state in Massachusetts and moved to Massachusetts for work after graduation this year. All of my income is from Massachusetts (both from working while as a student and from my job after graduation), and I am filling independently from my parents in Oregon. Am I considered a resident of Massachusetts only, or am I a resident of both and need to file state taxes in both locations?

KatrinaB48

If you completed your move during 2019 then you should file as a part-year resident, However, if you moved during 2020 then you should file as a nonresident since you had not legally changed your place of residence. Please view the Massachusetts revenue page for more information about determining residency status.

Hal_Al

If you were in MA, for school Jan, to May, and then stayed in MA, after graduation,  you can call yourself a full year MA resident, and not bother with an OR return.