Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

state of nj tax filing extension

i applied for an extension for federal since I am waiting on a corrected W2. I see it says I do not need to file an extension for the state as it automatically applies. So does this mean I do not need to do anything?

I was getting a refund from State but elected to have the refund applied to estimated taxes. I will be making my estimated tax payment on time but it already includes the refund deducted in that amount. Anything I need to worry about since the refund wont be applied until I file in a few more weeks?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

You should consider filing an extension for NJ as well. There is no extension of time to pay tax - only to file.

NJ Application for Extension of Time to File NJ Gross Income Tax Return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

But this  link says the same thing Turbo tax said...I dont need to file a separate extension for State.  As I state above I as getting a refund from the state which I elected to apply to my Quarterly Estimated Tax Payment (separate than the tax return). So technically this means I owe nothing with my state return.

Should I not apply the refund to estimated taxes if I am asking for an extension?  This just means I will get the refund later when I file vs applying it to my estimated taxes, right?

Website says the following

You do not need to submit this NJ-630 application if:
1. You have paid at least 80% of your final tax liability by the original due date, and
2. You have applied for an automatic extension of time to file for federal purposes and you enclose a copy of the federal Application for Automatic Extension (if filed by paper) with the final New Jersey return when filed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies