Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

state e-file - is there any way to pay this in advance, outside of the program?

I have run into terrible, awful, horrible, hair-pulling problems in the past just trying to pay for e-file of state return at the end of preparing the return. i am also reading tons of other people who have problems with this, trying to get support here. why?

Isn't there a way to get the program setup to already have state e-file paid and built in, so one doesn't have to make this horrible left turn in the middle of the program to pay the extra fee within the program? It is so awful.

I'm about to buy turbo tax again, and i sure would like to buy the state e-file included in advance, and avoid the dreaded internal state efile pay monster...   thanks. - tom

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

We cannot tell you about other software programs--we do not know.  But with TT---sorry--no--you cannot pay the state e-file fee in advance.  You can avoid the state e-file fee altogether by sending the state return by mail.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

thanks xmas-baby , that was quick - i was still fixing/editing lol...

ugh that's so annoying i really despise them for this, why oh why?  shame on the person responsible for this stupid "feature".

You can have the state efile fee deducted from a federal refund but that costs another $40 Refund Processing Service charge (45 in California).  Are you having trouble paying the fee?  You can get a prepaid Visa card to pay.  The last 2 years at Costco you get a $10 credit towards any fees when you need to pay.  So the $20 state efile fee is only $10 (15 after March 1.  Or move to New York.  It is free to efile NY.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies