Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I moved on 11/25/18 from virginia to south carolina with my company. I didn't start working until 12/01/18 and didn't register with the south carolina DMV until 1/15/19.

At which point should i consider myself a resident in SC if I didn't technically register with the SC DMV until 1/15/2019? I have a W-2 for both virginia and south carolina from my company.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I moved on 11/25/18 from virginia to south carolina with my company. I didn't start working until 12/01/18 and didn't register with the south carolina DMV until 1/15/19.

South Carolina answers your question this way:

"You are a South Carolina resident, even if you live outside South Carolina, when:

1. Your intention is to maintain South Carolina as your permanent home; AND
  2. South Carolina is the center of your financial, social, and family life; AND
  3. When you are away, South Carolina is the place to which you intend to return.
You are a nonresident if your permanent home is outside South Carolina all year and none of the above apply. "

Where you work and where your drivers license is registered are just a few of the many questions of fact that go into determining residency.

I think you answered your own question when you said "I moved on 11/25/18". At the least, when did you move into a house or an apartment in SC? Same day? There's your answer.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies