Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

iseawitch
Returning Member

Sold a rental property in CA but I am an AL resident and turbo tax shows the capital gains on the wrong state. Help.

The property shows up in the Alabama  as capital gain instead of California where the property is located. Federal tax doesn't care where it is but I cant get the state taxes to reflect properly. How to I switch it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Sold a rental property in CA but I am an AL resident and turbo tax shows the capital gains on the wrong state. Help.

The gain from the rental property sale does belong on the resident state return, where all worldwide income is taxed.  The nonresident state of CA also will tax this gain because the property is located there.

The best way to explain how the tax credit works (taxes paid to another state on the same income) is shown below. Your resident state does not want you to pay tax twice on the same income so they provide a credit. Prepare your nonresident state return first, then prepare your resident state return.

• As you go through the CA return, read the screens carefully so that you indicate the income that should be taxed there (capital gain from sale).
  • The AL return will know the amount of credit you should receive automatically. 

If your resident state tax is a higher rate, then all of the tax paid to the nonresident state will be applied.  If the nonresident state tax withholding is at a lower rate than your resident state you will make up the difference when all the calculations are complete. In reverse, if the state withholding on your nonresident state is at a higher rate than your resident state, you do not get the difference refunded unless the withholding was more than you tax liability for that nonresident state.  Your resident state will not refund any money they never received.  

Summary of Credit for Taxes Paid to Other State

The credit for taxes paid to another state on the same income is used on your resident state because they do not want you to pay taxes twice on the same income.  As the resident state all worldwide income must be included.

The credit for tax paid to another state on the same income will be the lesser of:

1. the tax liability actually charged by the nonresident state, OR
  2. the tax liability that would have been charged by your resident state

You should select the residency information, and AL as your resident state. Continue through the state section until you can enter the capital gain taxable to CA.  There are several screens before this comes up.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
iseawitch
Returning Member

actually I had to take it off Alabama on the capex form then run the California completely through at which time it could be added.. Its clunky...   the resident state has a lower tax rate .

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies