Ask the Experts about Life Changes in 2021 >> Event happening TODAY!
chaitanya-pokkun

Should I file state tax return for Tennessee (I am a part-year resident)?

I was a part-year resident of North Carolina and a part-year resident of Tennessee in 2016. My employer is based in North Carolina whereas I moved to Tennessee for a consulting engagement here at my client location. Given this situation, should I file a Tennessee state tax return for 2016? I moved to Tennessee in early September and before that I lived in North Carolina. Please reply as soon as possible.
JohnR1

Tennessee does not impose a state income tax, other than the so-called "Hall Tax" on interest and dividend income.

Generally, if you are a person moved into or out of Tennessee, you only need to file the Tennessee Hall Tax return if your taxable interest and dividend income, during the period of Tennessee residency, exceeded $1,250 ($2,500 if married filing jointly) during the tax year.

If you don't need to file a Tennessee state tax return, and TurboTax has generated one for you, you can delete a state return in TurboTax Online, as long as you haven't paid for it yet (or registered in a free version).

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ, "How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online?":

For more information about Tennessee's Hall Tax, please see the following Hall Income Tax Return guide from the Tennessee Department of Revenue:

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/revenue/attachments/indincguide.pdf