turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I file state tax return for Tennessee (I am a part-year resident)?

I was a part-year resident of North Carolina and a part-year resident of Tennessee in 2016. My employer is based in North Carolina whereas I moved to Tennessee for a consulting engagement here at my client location. Given this situation, should I file a Tennessee state tax return for 2016? I moved to Tennessee in early September and before that I lived in North Carolina. Please reply as soon as possible.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnR1

Should I file state tax return for Tennessee (I am a part-year resident)?

Tennessee does not impose a state income tax, other than the so-called "Hall Tax" on interest and dividend income.

Generally, if you are a person moved into or out of Tennessee, you only need to file the Tennessee Hall Tax return if your taxable interest and dividend income, during the period of Tennessee residency, exceeded $1,250 ($2,500 if married filing jointly) during the tax year.

If you don't need to file a Tennessee state tax return, and TurboTax has generated one for you, you can delete a state return in TurboTax Online, as long as you haven't paid for it yet (or registered in a free version).

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ, "How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online?":

For more information about Tennessee's Hall Tax, please see the following Hall Income Tax Return guide from the Tennessee Department of Revenue:

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/revenue/attachments/indincguide.pdf 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies