Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I file a separate return for my son due to him receiving 1099-Bs?

Greetings! My son has net capital losses of - $14 for year 2022 and no other income. I am claiming his as a dependent.

He received three official forms 1099-B from the three brokerage firms he traded stocks with. 

Question: Should I file a separate return for him due to the fact that the three 1099-B's are sent to the IRS?

Thanks much!

peixes

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Yes he needs to file the 1099Bs.  Be sure on his return he checks the box that says he can be claimed on someone else's return.  Go up to File-New.

Hal_Al
Level 15

You do not report his income on your return*. If it has to be reported, at all, it goes on his own return. If your dependent child is under age 19 (or under 24 if a full time student), he or she must file a tax return for 2022 if he had any of the following:

1.          Total income (wages, salaries, taxable scholarship etc.) of more than $12,950 (2022).
  2.          Unearned income (interest, dividends, capital gains, unemployment, taxable portion of 529 distribution) of more than $1150 (2022)
  3.          Unearned income over $400 (2022) and gross income of more than $1150 (2022)
  4.          Household employee income (e.g. baby sitting, lawn mowing) over $2300 ($12,950 if under age 18)
  5. Other self employment income over $432, including money on a form 1099-NEC

If none of the 1099-Bs show a gain of more than $1150, technically he does not need to file a tax return. But he may want to file anyway to head of an IRS inquiry and to document his capital loss carry forward. 

*If his only income is from interest and dividends, Alaska PFD or capital gains distributions shown on a 1099-DIV, there is a provision for entering it on your return, using form 8814. The fact that he has a 1099-B prevents you from using this option      

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies