turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sales tax deduction

Is the Sales Tax Deduction Calculator Working?  I paid a ton of sales tax due to a major remodel.  The amount of sales tax I paid exceeds what I paid in State Taxes (approximately $20,000).  No matter what amount I enter, the amount of state tax I owe does not change.  I checked the box "use sales tax" and "change my deduction", but the amount I owe still doesn't change.  Also, I have not paid and I do not owe AMT.  Is anyone having the same problem?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sales tax deduction

high inome taxpayers will find that their Schedule A deduction will phase out and then disappear.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Sales tax deduction

high inome taxpayers will find that their Schedule A deduction will phase out and then disappear.

Sales tax deduction

Schedule A deductions phase out at $160,900 for married filing jointly.  Our AGI is $161,675.  We are $775 above the threshold.  Thank you for your help.

Sales tax deduction

if you are close next year, consider taking a capital loss on some stock for $3,000. After 32 days you can buy the stock back. But this won't work if you are already reporting carryover loss on Line 13.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies