turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sales tax deduction

Is the Sales Tax Deduction Calculator Working?  I paid a ton of sales tax due to a major remodel.  The amount of sales tax I paid exceeds what I paid in State Taxes (approximately $20,000).  No matter what amount I enter, the amount of state tax I owe does not change.  I checked the box "use sales tax" and "change my deduction", but the amount I owe still doesn't change.  Also, I have not paid and I do not owe AMT.  Is anyone having the same problem?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sales tax deduction

high inome taxpayers will find that their Schedule A deduction will phase out and then disappear.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Sales tax deduction

high inome taxpayers will find that their Schedule A deduction will phase out and then disappear.

Sales tax deduction

Schedule A deductions phase out at $160,900 for married filing jointly.  Our AGI is $161,675.  We are $775 above the threshold.  Thank you for your help.

Sales tax deduction

if you are close next year, consider taking a capital loss on some stock for $3,000. After 32 days you can buy the stock back. But this won't work if you are already reporting carryover loss on Line 13.
Manage cookies