Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Residing in MA, working in NH

I'm working for NH based office of the Company, which will be not withdrawing NH state taxes, because the state doesn't have them. Though, does it mean that my final take-home (after Federal, SSI & Medicare etc.) isn't really a final take-home, and in the end, when filing MA state tax return (I'm living in MA), the state will indicate me that I owe money?

Just asking to understand whether I should still keep some money out of my pay checks for the future MA state tax return, or my take-home from NH income can be treated really as a take-home

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, you will have to pay Massachusetts tax on your income from New Hampshire. Since you are a Massachusetts resident, you have to pay Massachusetts tax on all your income, no matter where the income is from.

You are expected to pay your state tax on a pay-as-you-go basis during the year. If you wait until you file your tax return and pay all the tax at the end of the year you will have to pay a penalty for paying late. Ask your employer if they can withhold Massachusetts tax. If not, you should make estimated tax payments to Massachusetts. You have already missed the due dates for the first two estimated tax payments for 2021.

Go to the following link on the Massachusetts Department of Revenue web site for details about making estimated tax payments.

MA DOR Estimated Tax Payments

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, you will have to pay Massachusetts tax on your income from New Hampshire. Since you are a Massachusetts resident, you have to pay Massachusetts tax on all your income, no matter where the income is from.

You are expected to pay your state tax on a pay-as-you-go basis during the year. If you wait until you file your tax return and pay all the tax at the end of the year you will have to pay a penalty for paying late. Ask your employer if they can withhold Massachusetts tax. If not, you should make estimated tax payments to Massachusetts. You have already missed the due dates for the first two estimated tax payments for 2021.

Go to the following link on the Massachusetts Department of Revenue web site for details about making estimated tax payments.

MA DOR Estimated Tax Payments

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies