Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Resident in SC work remotely for NY company

Been a resident in upstate NY. Recently sold our home and moved family to SC. SC is and will be our domicile/perm home.  I work remotely in SC for the company in NY still. I was advised by work HR of being double taxed in my checks and tax return by NY and SC. For this year 2021 taxes what can I do if anything to avoid paying tax twice (SC and NY). Or will NY require I pay tax because my employer is in NY even though I work remote in SC and will not be back to NY for work?

My only other option is to choose our office in GA as my employer. And work remotely in SC for GA office. Trying to find the less of 2 evils. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

South Carolina has a credit for taxes paid to another state. So, you can subtract the tax you paid to New York from your South Carolina tax. You should go back through your South Carolina tax return and look for the credit. You will need to enter the tax you paid in New York, which you can find while working in your New York tax return by pulling up the state tax summary as follows:

1. Tools
  2. Tax Tools (left side of the menu bar)
  3. View Tax Summary
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you @ThomasM125 . 

I have the option to switch my office location to our Georgia office. I could still work remotely in SC. Do you know of any resources to verify which situation (NY or GA) is more advantageous for me? My guess is it's better to use our GA office based on my lifeti5 of NY taxes. 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes. The tax rates by state can be reviewed at the Tax Foundation site, which will be helpful for your decision.  Scroll to the bottom and click on the map to see the various individual income tax rates.  Georgia, like New York has a graduated tax rate, but overall a lower rate.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies