Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pedal246

Reciprocal state withheld in error

As I am a resident of Illinois, but a student and a student-employee at a Michigan university, my income made in Michigan would not be taxed due to the reciprocal agreement between the two state. Unfortunately, taxes were withheld in Michigan. I've entered my W2 into the Turbotax software, as well as bought an additional state tax form of Michigan, along side my free state tax form of Illinois, so I could get my Michigan taxes back. As I went through the guided steps, the software stated that I was estimated to receive 1/4 of the total taxes held in Michigan, but I should be receiving the entire held taxes to provided to Michigan. I haven't submitted any of my tax forms yet, so how could I fix this error before I submit my tax forms to their destinations? Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You should be completing a MI non resident return and be allocating NO income to MI  so you get a full MI refund. Then correct the withholding issue in 2020...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/which-states-have-reciprocal-agreements/00/25576

boppy345
Returning Member

This is for the downloadable TurboTax.  I had the same issue with withholding in error by a neighboring state. There was no question in the step by step procedure, ever asked if withholding was in error.  After searching through the state tax forms I found that there was a box to check if withholding was in error. Checked the box & all the calculations went away.  All state tax withheld was now shown as refund.  I think question should be asked when preparing state tax.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

@pedal246

Please be aware that taxable scholarships would be taxed by Michigan (and any local taxing authority) even if you are an Illinois resident. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies