turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received a letter requesting 60 days to send a complete response on what actions they are taking? not sure what this means?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Ashby

Received a letter requesting 60 days to send a complete response on what actions they are taking? not sure what this means?

When the IRS is reviewing your return (or anything else), they will send out these letter as a matter of process to let you know how long it could possibly take. You are officially in a holding pattern. You don't need to do anything at this time, but it sounds like it will be a while until you hear from the IRS.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Ashby

When the IRS is reviewing your return (or anything else), they will send out these letter as a matter of process to let you know how long it could possibly take. You are officially in a holding pattern. You don't need to do anything at this time, but it sounds like it will be a while until you hear from the IRS.

Please be careful here  I suggest that we understand the type of letter you received.  Such letters are usually designated as "CP-xxxx"

Many of the correspondences sent by the IRS are giving you a certain number of days in which you must respond to the letter with your agreement or disagreement, and details as requested.  Let us know the exact nature of the letter you received.  Here is an explanation of one of the common types of letters sent:

IRS CP 2000 Notice: Automatic Adjustment Notice – This is one of the most common automated adjustment notices. This notice will show proposed changes to your tax return. The information the IRS uses when sending these out is when it compares income, payments, credits, and other deductions reported on your tax return with information provided by third parties. Be careful with this notice because many times they are wrong. If you agree, you can agree and pay the amount owed. If you don’t agree you can call the IRS or contest it in writing. If you don’t contest within 60 days then the IRS will make the adjustment final within 60 days.

Ashby

This is the 60 day review letter that the IRS is sending out in droves right now.

I just didn't conclude that from the limited post by the OP.  I think it would be wise to be safe, imho.  Thanks!

I received a CP2000, and sent a response letter disagreeing with all of it. IRS sent letter saying they received my response and would respond within 60 days. The 60 days was up a couple weeks ago, and I never heard anything. Are they going to leave me hanging indefinitely? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies