turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

traildog

I reside in Indiana but work in Maryland. Do I pay taxes in both states? There is no reciprocity that I am familiar with between either state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

I reside in Indiana but work in Maryland. Do I pay taxes in both states? There is no reciprocity that I am familiar with between either state?

You are correct, there is no reciprocity agreement between Maryland and Indiana.  Since you live in Indiana but work in Maryland, you will need to file a Resident Indiana return and a Non-Resident Maryland return.  You will report all of your income on your Indiana return, but will receive a credit for the taxes you paid to Maryland.

xie186

Does this mean that eventually this person only pays tax to one state? 

@xie186 - correct - simplified explanation:  you fill out the non-residential state FIRST and whatever the tax liability is on that tax return becomes a credit in the residential state. that way you are not paying taxes on the same dollar in two states.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Does this mean that eventually this person only pays tax to one state? 

A.  No, not exactly.  What it means is: the person is not double taxed.  He pays the  same amount* of tax as if he lived and worked in the same state; he just splits the money between the  two states and has the hassle (and cost) of filing two state tax returns. 

*Sometimes the credit for the home state is not 100% of the tax paid to the work state, so there may be a small amount of double taxation. Living in IN and working in MD, would usually be one of those cases. 

The original question is several years old, but I wonder how someone can be commuting from IN to MD.  That being said, it's possible that the Work state might consider the employee to be a state resident for tax purposes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies