Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Working with turbotax when filing state taxes in more than one state

I live in Mexico, am a resident of California, and have rental property in Oregon. Usually I file federal and California taxes, but this year the income from my Oregon  property crossed the threshold so I need to file OR taxes as well. I had already finished my federal and CA return when I realized this, so I bought the OR state product to add to my taxes, but I don't understand how to work with 2 states returns at the same time. I'm looking for a way to get tax credits in one state because of tax paid in another. From my understanding there is a reciprocal tax agreement between CA and OR so I should be able to do this. 

Currently I'm showing ALL income on my CA return, but only showing the rental income for my OR property on my OR return. As it is currently it doubles my state taxes by having me pay about $450 in each state, when before will all income showing on my CA return I was paying just the $450 in that state alone. Any help in using turbotax in this situation would be greatly appreciated! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

If you completed your Oregon return, go back to the California section and look for the Take a look at California credits and taxes > credit for other state tax (see below)

If you paid taxes to a state other than California during the year, you may receive a tax credit for that on your California state taxes. That way, you won't be taxed twice on the same income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you! I found it, but it says "California residents cannot claim this credit if its for tax you paid to: ...Oregon..."

I went ahead and filled everything out and got a $7 credit, which still means I'm still paying more than double the tax because the CA tax is $405 ( on ALL income including Oregon property income) and the Oregon tax is $441 on just the Oregon property income, so I'm basically paying tax on the Oregon income twice :(

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies